Nursing while living with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) may lead to special circumstances and various questions. While there is still much that’s still being studied about breastfeeding and IBD, there are many good resources available to help IBDMoms in the breastfeeding journey.
General Breastfeeding Resources
Resources for Colonoscopy and Breastfeeding
- Anesthesia & Breastfeeding: More Often Than Not, They Are Compatible [INFOGRAPHIC] — Anesthesiology
- Colonoscopy and Breastfeeding Mothers — The Breastfeeding Network
- IBD Motherhood Unplugged: Scopes, Scans, and Breastfeeding — Lights, Camera, Crohn’s
- Supporting Breastfeeding Mothers Who Require Anaesthesia And/or Sedation — UNICEF
General Breastfeeding Help
- Find a Breastfeeding Counselor — Breastfeeding USA
- Find a Lactation Professional — ZipMilk
- InfantRisk Center Helpline – (806) 352-2519 – the InfantRisk Center, which provides up-to-date evidence-based information on medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- National Office on Women’s Health Helpline – 800-994-9662 (TDD 888-220-5446) — The US Office on Women’s Health (English and Spanish)
IBD and Breastfeeding
- How Does IBD Affect Delivery, Postpartum, and Breastfeeding?— Preconception and Pregnancy in IBD Clinical Research Program
- Preventing IBD in Your Baby With Breastfeeding — Verywell Health
- Guideline on Anaesthesia and Sedation in Breastfeeding Women 2020 — Anaesthesia
- Cobb B, Liu R, Valentine E, Onuoha O. Breastfeeding after Anesthesia: A Review for Anesthesia Providers Regarding the Transfer of Medications into Breast Milk. Transl Perioper Pain Med. 2015;1(2):1-7.
- Dalal PG, Bosak J, Berlin C. Safety of the breast-feeding infant after maternal anesthesia. Paediatr Anaesth. 2014;24(4):359-371. doi:10.1111/pan.12331
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed), United States National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm. Accessed August 4, 2022.
- Lee AI, McCarthy RJ, Toledo P, Jones MJ, White N, Wong CA. Epidural Labor Analgesia-Fentanyl Dose and Breastfeeding Success: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Anesthesiology. 2017;127(4):614-624. doi:10.1097/ALN.0000000000001793